Socrates stood before his accusers.
They were afraid of his ideas and common sense.
They could not defend their positions rationally.
Socrates knew he was doomed .
He drank the poison .
We are in a different time and a different place .
But fear has once again gripped the populace.
This time we will not drink the poison—we will not succumb to the tribal panic.
People are calling and writing me that their jobs are threatened , that boys will be prevented from playing hockey with their friends, that nurses employment is to be terminated, with an already strained health work force.
Get that: young boys will be prevented from playing hockey with their friends!
A collective panic attack pervades the people driven by the irrational behaviour of the authorities, selectively providing information, deliberately suppressing other alternative views.
Families are being split up.
Friendships destroyed .
Communities in tatters.
And we re elect a man who has broken the law multiple times !
Our Bill of Rights of 1960 , a federal Law, our Charter of Right and Freedoms. Constitution Act of 1982 , are being VIOLATED
Our Charter and Rights and Freedoms says:
‘2 Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
- (a) freedom of conscience and religion;
- (b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;
- (c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and
- (d) freedom of association.
Mobility of citizens
- 6 (1) Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada
Rights to move and gain livelihood
(2) Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right
- (a) to move to and take up residence in any province; and
- (b) to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.
Life, liberty and security of person
7 Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of the person and the right not to be deprived thereof except in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice.
Equality before and under law and equal protection and benefit of law
- 15 (1) Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.
Section 1 says
‘1 The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.’
But authorities , Governments from St. John’s to Victoria and the Federal Government have not ‘demonstrably justified’ their actions .
There are no cost benefit analysis, there are no parliamentary debates, parliamentary committees with experts called before them . The Centre for Constitutional Freedoms has been waiting for months before the courts for the Government of Alberta to produce evidence justifying what they have done. Only Delay!!
There are just edits emanating from Health and Emergency Legislation quietly endorsed by the Premiers and their Cabinets, the Prime Minister and his Cabinet and often announced by unelected bureaucrats.
We did not elect the Public Health Officers !
It is the First Ministers and Ministers who are accountable to their Parliaments and to us.
Where are the unions, the law societies, the law faculties that we are suppose to trust with our children?
Where are the Press? Too busy getting Federal Government subsidies? Between the Press and CBC we are up to $2.6 billion over the last two years !
Where are the business organizations ? Subsidies , too?
Where are the think tanks? Are they really independent?
Our country is being torn asunder——-even Vitamin D is not promoted !
We will not take the poison of partial and misinformation .
We will not be maligned as fringe and extreme!
We will not live in fear.
The assault on out rights and freedoms must be stopped.